Aged Care FAQ's

Commonly Asked Questions About Moving Into Aged Care

On this page you will find some of the more commonly asked questions about moving to a CPSM Aged Care residence. At CPSM Care we are dedicated to helping you and your loved ones, whether you need assistance now, or are simply planning ahead. We warmly welcome you to contact us at any time, for a relaxed, obligation free discussion.

How do I become eligible to enter an aged care residence?

An assessment made by the Aged Care Assessment Team (ACAT) is needed before a person can access government subsidised aged care services such as community Aged Care Packages (CACP) and residential aged care. Aged Care Assessment Teams help care recipients and their Carers find and organise the most appropriate care which best suits their needs. This could mean arranging help at home or a move into a residential aged care home. ACAT will organise an interview in the home or at hospital. They will want to know how well a person is coping with daily living tasks. It can help to have a Carer or family member in attendance who has an understanding of the person’s care needs and situation at home.

What is the difference between low care (hostel) and high care (nursing home)?

On 1st July 2014 the distinction between high and low level care was removed, leaving only the classification of Residential Aged Care. CPSM Care provides care to residents who require simple assistance for things like showering, dressing, medication management, meals and so on, through to higher level care catering to people with more complex medical conditions that require 24 hour assistance. All CPSM Care facilities provide dementia specific care areas, to meet the special needs of those who suffer from dementia related illnesses. Our trained staff will make an assessment prior to admission as to what type of care will most appropriately meet your needs.

Do I need to complete an assets assessment for Centrelink or DVA?

An assets assessment is compulsory to find out if a resident is eligible for government assistance with their accommodation costs for permanent residential aged care. We strongly suggest seeking financial advice prior to submitting an assessment.

How much does aged care cost?

On entry to a facility your asset assessment will determine if you will be required to pay either a Refundable Accommodation Deposit RAD (once only), or you are eligible to receive government support for your accommodation. Regardless of what type of care you require (high or low), there will also be a basic daily care fee to pay, which roughly equates to 85% of the full pension. There may also be a daily income-tested fee if the government determines your asset position sufficient to be applicable. Detailed information about aged care fees and charges can be found on the Department of Health and Ageing (DOHA) website.

What is a Refundable Accommodation Deposit (RAD)?

A Refundable Accommodation Deposit is an amount a resident may be asked to pay when they require residential aged care. A RAD is like an interest free loan to the approved provider, and forms part of the payment for services and accommodation provided. CPSM Care facilities have different types and sizes of accommodation, and rooms can vary in the price of the minimum bond charged. Our friendly staff can assist you to clearly understand your situation, using software to calculate fees and charges as applied by the government.

What if I cannot afford a RAD?

If you need residential care and your asset position is insufficient to cover a RAD, you may benefit from completing an Assets Assessment Form from Centrelink or DVA. This will provide information to the government to determine your eligibility for “supported status”. The government will then pay a supplement to the provider in lieu of the RAD. Bed availability for supported residents can be obtained at the point of application.

What do I have to pay for in addition to the fees and charges?

Pharmacy costs, medical and some allied health specialist appointments and beauty treatments (such as hairdressers) are the general things not covered within the aged care fees. A full list of what is provided by CPSM Care is included in our resident admission agreement, and is available on the DOHA website.

What is an extra services fee?

These are fees charged by some aged care providers for services, products and choices over and above what is expected by the government. CPSM Care does not charge extra services fees, but does provide care, accommodation, services and choice equal to and better than the facilities that do charge this fee.

Will there always be a nurse available should I need one?

Yes. All CPSM Care facilities have a high proportion of nursing staff on site in both low and high care accommodation. A registered Nurse is on the premises 24/7, along with numerous carers. We have a Director of Nursing and a Care Manager at each residence to ensure the very highest standard of care and clinical attention.

What is the food like?

CPSM Care facilities have a commercial kitchen on site, and meals are prepared fresh by full-time qualified chefs. The meal plan is rotated over four weeks and reviewed regularly by our Executive Chef. Our residents are surveyed regularly to measure their level of satisfaction and changes are made accordingly.

Can I bring my own furniture and furnishings?

Yes. This is your home and as such, we encourage all our residents and families to make your room as homely as possible. There are no restrictions as long as the room is safe for both you and our staff, and that electrical items brought in are tested and tagged by an electrician for electrical safety.

Can I go on leave from the residence?

Yes. You can be away from CPSM Care residences for social reasons for a maximum of 52 days per year. There are no restrictions on day leave and outings, as long as we know where you are and that you are safe.

We Are Here To Help!

Whether you need Aged Care assistance now, or are simply planning ahead.